Picnic Areas in the Presidio of San Francisco
The Presidio is the proud home to some of San Francisco’s best picnic areas – many with unbeatable Golden Gate Bridge views. There are also picnic areas in the new Presidio Tunnel Tops – these spots were built based on community feedback and include wheelchair accessible tables, epic views of the Bay, some are sheltered, and there are restrooms, parking, and bike racks nearby. Though most picnic spots in the park are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, there’s one spot available for reservation in advance – Picnic Place at Presidio Tunnel Tops – that also provides access to barbecue grills (note: grills and barbecues may not be brought into the park).
We have a wide variety of picnicking options – some with picnic tables and amenities, some bare bones, and some that are perfect for larger group celebrations while others are best for small gatherings. Whether you’re looking for that quintessential picnic in San Francisco, either near the water or surrounded by nature, or you want a quiet spot for a quick lunch break, we’ve got plenty of favorites to choose from.
Picnicking in the Presidio:
- Be sure to Presidio Like a Pro and follow park guidelines while picnicking – that means packing it in and packing it out.
- Grills and barbeques may not be brought into the park but are offered at several picnic sites. See below descriptions for more details.
- You can bring your own picnic or pick up food from our Presidio Pop Up food and beverage vendors.
- Do not bring more than one 6’x 30” table per group.
- Rented tables and chairs and pop-up canopies or tents are not permitted.
- Small shade tents with maximum size of 5’x5’ are allowed on park lawns; no staking into the ground. No umbrellas or pop-up structures are allowed. You may be asked to take down a tent by a staff member if winds create a potential safety hazard.
- Do not bring balloons, piñatas, glitter, confetti to the park – they’re are harmful to wildlife and the park’s ecology.
- Parties or group gatherings are not allowed at the Outpost; if you’re looking for a good spot for a gathering, see Picnic Sites or Rent an Event Space pages.
- To learn more about reserving space for large group picnic gatherings at Baker Beach or Crissy Field, visit the National Park Service website.
- For information about reserving space elsewhere in the Presidio, visit the Presidio Trust permits page or the Event Venues page.