July is National Picnic month and summer picnics in the great outdoors are a great way to connect with friends and family. Here are tips to help plan the perfect picnic in the Presidio.
Find the Perfect Spot
The Presidio is home to some of San Francisco’s best places to picnic – many with green grass, picnic tables, and unbeatable Golden Gate Bridge views. If you’re looking to create that quintessential picnic experience, either near the water or surrounded by nature, we’ve got you covered.
Six Favorite Picnic Areas in the Presidio
Assemble Your Picnic
What’s a picnic without tasty snacks?! The Presidio is home to some wonderful restaurants and cafés. Save yourself the hassle and pick up delicious fixings from one of these local businesses.
- Café RX – If you’re picnicking on the Main Parade Lawn, try Café RX. Open for breakfast and lunch, Monday to Friday, 8 am to 2:30 pm, Café Rx offers wholesome, fresh food with a changing daily menu.
- Presidio Social Club – Thinking of picnicking near El Polin Spring? Stop into the Presidio Social Club Exchange’s ”Store,” which features everything you need for a great picnic.
- Sessions at the Presidio – Planning a picnic near the Yoda Fountain at Letterman Digital Arts Center? Sessions at the Presidio is now open seven days a week, 11:30 am to 8 pm. They make take-out ordering a breeze.
- Presidio Warming Hut – For an impromptu picnic at Crissy Field, stop by the Warming Hut for some pre-packaged snacks and beverages. It’s open Thursday to Monday, 9 am to 5 pm.
- Ironwoods Bar + Grill at Presidio Golf Course – Before heading over to Inspiration Point Overlook or Presidio Wall Playground for a picnic, be sure to stop by the Presidio Golf Course Café. They have food and beverages available daily, 9 am to 5 pm. They also offer take-out.
See all Presidio Restaurants and Cafes
Let the Games Begin
No picnic would be complete without classic lawn games such as cornhole, ladder toss, badminton, and frisbee. Pick up these games at Presidio Sports Basement. Looking to get active before or after your picnic? Try Movement’s epic climbing wall and House of Air’s trampolines. All are located in the historic warehouses at the Presidio’s Crissy Field.
See More Visitor-Serving Businesses
Leave No Trace
Keep the park beautiful by practicing the “Leave No Trace” Golden Rules! For starters, pack out what you bring in, recycle and compost when you can, and leave the park even better than you found it.
“Leave No Trace” Seven Principles