We’re rehabilitating buildings, structures, and landscapes that tell the story of our nation’s past.
The Presidio Trust oversees one of the largest and most ambitious historic preservation projects in the United States.
Since we began work in 1997, we and our partners have rehabilitated nearly five million square feet of built space in the Presidio National Historic Landmark District (NHLD). We’ve put hundreds of historic buildings back into service.
This work preserves our history while making the Presidio a lively national park site where people visit, live, and work. Along the way, we’ve earned numerous awards for historic preservation and successful collaborations with partners.
In partnership with state, local, and national preservation stakeholders, along with our development partners, we’ve brought the historic Presidio back to life as a thriving place, while sharing its deep history through preservation of its buildings, landscapes, and stories.
The park’s historic buildings and landscapes are maintained by our experienced staff of tradespeople, along with specialty contractors with deep experience working with historic properties.
National Historic Landmarks (NHLs) are historic properties that illustrate the heritage of the United States. There are more than 2,600 in the United States. They come in many forms: historic buildings, sites, structures, objects, and districts. Each represents an outstanding aspect of American history and culture.
The Presidio was once home to U.S. Army soldiers and their families. Beginning in the 1860s, the Army built hundreds of housing units in a variety of architectural styles across 15 now-historic neighborhoods. Today, we’ve rehabilitated the park’s historic residential units, again providing homes for families. Rents from residents help operate and maintain the Presidio.
Completed in 1939, the Presidio Theatre originally served U.S. Army soldiers and their families, primarily showing films but also hosting radio stars and Hollywood legends such as Jack Benny, Bob Hope, and Marlene Dietrich. The Margaret E. Haas Fund and Presidio Trust partnered on an award-winning rehabilitation project that returned the building to service in 2019 as a multi-media performing arts space.
Constructed between 1898 and 1907, these four coast artillery batteries helped to protect San Francisco from attack until they were decommissioned in 1920. The western tunnels of the new Presidio Parkway created an opportunity to restore the batteries within a carefully designed landscape featuring accessible trails, overlooks, and picnic areas. Today, it’s called Battery Bluff.
If you have questions about historic preservation at the Presidio, reach out to Rob Thomson, Federal Preservation Officer, at email@example.com.